Last week, I wrote an article on the history of alcohol. This week, we will examine how to beat the worst part of the party life: the dreaded hangover. There’s nothing worse than a terrible hangover. It can be so bad that a movie was even made about it and named after it. The headaches. The nausea. The dragon breath which kills every unsuspecting peasant in your wake. Is there a way to get rid of these awful symptoms? Yes, there is! In fact, there are many. Here, we will examine some of the ways to make a hangover cease. Here are a few:
- Water! – One of the main causes of a hangover is dehydration. You can mitigate the morning after nefore it even begins by drinking water before you drink alcohol or after you stop. If you are already hung over, you can still help to end the pain by drinking water. It will help to cure the headaches and bad breath associated with drinking too much.
- Replenish Electrolytes and Nutrients: Drink a Gatorade. Take a Multi-vitamin. Another major cause of hangover is the sapping of important vitamins and minerals during the course of your wild night. This can help with nausea to some extent, and also helps to cure the headaches.
- Sleep It Off: If you have a day to recover, you can sleep off some of the effects of a hangover. If not, go with the other methods. Alcohol reduces quality of sleep, and this is another factor which contributes to that sick, tired, uneasy feeling the morning after drinking profusely. Also, if you drank WAY too much, you may still be metabolizing some alcohol the next morning.
- Take a shower! – but not too hot – If you take a shower hot enough for your skin to turn red, you will likely sweat even more when you get out than you were when you got in. This is not good for body odor. An interesting thing to note is that sometimes, after a night of heavy drinking, your sweat smells like alcohol.
- Brush your teeth, and use mouthwash: These are ideally things you should do every day, but it is especially important to do them when you have breath that could kill a baby elephant from a mile away. Help protect endangered species! Clean your mouth thoroughly after drinking heavily.
- Use lotion on your skin, and shampoo / condition your hair – Take the lotion out of the basket! The dehydrating effects of drinking also extend to the hair and skin. Use moisturizing products to replenish and revitalize your appearance, so you don’t look like you just walked out of the latest zombie-horror flick.
- Drink Ginger Tea: Ginger contains enzymes and nutrients that may specifically help with a hangover. Drink one cup of hot ginger tea – your head and stomach may thank you for it.
- Eat something: I know the nausea can be unbearable – but trust me. After you eat something (bread is helpful), you will want to puke less, and you will feel much better.
Everyone who is an experienced party-goer knows that a hangover can be debilitating. Puking every fifteen minutes, the inability to walk properly… most of us have had one, and most of us don’t think about them until we have them. If you drink, you can have a fun experience or an awful one. But if you keep these tips in mind, you too can beat the dreaded monster called ‘Hangover.’